Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Countess is in New York City!!

Is there a more exciting city in the world than New York City? I love walking up 7th Avenue to the Stage Deli for breakfast. I love picking up a couple of apple crouissants at The Bread Factory. I love strolling along 8th or 9th Avenue and talking to all the wonderful people who populate this neighborhood. I love going downtown to SoHo (that is South of Houston to you philistines) and having dinner at a quaint little bistro with overpriced liquor.

I love going way, way off Broadway...like way downtown....to an obscure theater featuring a one man show like 'Confessions of a Morman Boy'. Can you fathom the courage it takes to bare one's soul on the New York Stage before a live audience? Steve Fales does. He wrote this show about his own experiences and performed it around the country before coming to New York City. What does that say about courage?

I love coming back to my hotel for a nightcap and getting into the most bizarre discussion with a young black man about his ambitions. He said I should get a commission if he is a success, but you know what? If he is a success, then I am a winner. New York City opens so many doors and closes them too. If I contribute to someone's success, it is a win, win situation.

A situation that I haven't forgotten was the random pick up by Mootsie. Last fall Mootsie stopped my 'cab flag' and asked where I was going. He was driving a black Lincoln Continental, not a 'yellow cab'. My friends didn't want to get into his car but I thought they were foolish. I jumped in and gave Mootsie the directions. Mootsie had a gift of gab and we hit it off. He had dreams and plans and I was happy to listen to him. I gave him some business advice including an innovative way to get attention and sell his business via the internet with a webcam. I am still hoping to see Mootsie on one of my internet sites. I didn't keep his card and I am so sorry about that whenever I am in the city. I would gladly call Mootsie and hire his services to drive me around town. I wish him well whereever he is.

There are seven million stories in The Naked City. This is one of them. DaaaaDaDaDa
Countess Bedelia 1/29/2006 11:07:00 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment