Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The New Society

Once upon a time I lived a rather narrow life with a small circle of family and friends to socialize with. A party with 100 people was considered a huge gathering. Most of the members of my society were family, work friends, neighbors, friends made at clubs, etc. The 'normal' way that friendships became a part of our lives. Unless someone moved away, most relationships were conducted within a small geographic area.

Then, about three years ago, I discovered the internet as a means to socialize. It first began with the Showtime series, Queer as Folk. I watched the show for a couple of years but had very few contemporaries to discuss it with. It is amazing how premium channels have become so commonplace today but, even a few years ago, were considered a luxury. I was looking at the Showtime website one day and noticed a message board. Lo and behold, it was like finding the door in the closet leading to Narnia! I was transported away to a vast and exciting world that had no boundaries. Suddenly I was conversing and trading opinions with people from all over the world!

Since that time I have ventured out into the real world and traveled to meet up with my internet friends. Wonderful people from Australia, Africa, England, Europe, and from all over the United States. My world has expanded so much in these past few years and I have had so many amazing adventures and experiences.

At first my family thought I was nuts. They didn't understand what was going on with me and why I wanted to travel and meet all these 'strange' people. If you aren't involved in blogs or journals, you can't know how easy it is to get to know people. You click on a blog that sounds interesting and then someone comments and you click on their blog. Next thing you contribute to the conversation and voila! You have made a new friend. Just like in life, some stick around and others flit off into cyberspace. You find people you are comfortable with and next thing you know you are trading emails and confidences. The New Society!

This past year I made the acquaintance of The Mrs. Astor. I was turned on to her blog because of the wonderful pictures and stories she told of New York nightlife in the 70's and 80's. She was right in the thick of things and is a master storyteller. She also happens to be a handsome gay man living on South Beach. Now Mrs. Astor is about to embark on a marriage with a handsome sweet Argentinian, Ian. A relationship born in the internet and one bringing two people together from different continents and cultures. It is a beautiful love story and all part of The New Society!
Countess Bedelia 2/22/2006 07:31:00 PM

2 Comments:

Countess,

I'm so glad you've been able to enjoy yourself as much as you have in this "new age" of the internet. I have taken it for granted as my adolescent years were spent in chat rooms, especially my "gay" generation. It was the new way of meeting others in the community.

About your meeting Mrs. Astor, it has been an added bonus to my life as well. We first met at the Palace, which has been my happy escape when it's time to disappear from the realities of a stressful work life. I later discovered blogs through her, and it's been an ongoing adventure meeting some of the most interesting and wonderful people I've ever met. I can't wait to meet you! It's amazing to have met someone so close geographically through such a round-about channel.

Before I go on and on, I can't wait until we can all sit together and toast our friendships with a flute of bubbly. Cheers and thank you!

Mr. B
I look forward to many, many toasts! Skoal!!

Add a comment