Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Thank you, Mark




I met Mark on my recent trip to Miami. Mark is one of those people that, as soon as you meet them, you know they are Good People. Believe me, Good People do not grow on trees. When you meet one, you should be greatful. And so I am. The reason I am thanking Mark is because he sent me a heads up about the HBO documentary: Rosie's Family Cruise.

I am not a big Rosie fan and probably would have passed right over this little gem if Mark hadn't given me a nudge in the right direction. This story about the cruise organized by Rosie's wife, Kelly, in 2004 should be required viewing for all of America....school children, church groups, town meetings....anywhere that people gather. It is a story of America. A story of diversity. A story of love. A story of family. A story of hope.

As different people tell their stories....stories of gay men and women with babies and young children....stories of marriages and commitments....stories of so many different lifestyles....the viewer starts to get a sense of how happy all these people are to be on a cruise that allows them just to be who they are, with their families, without pretense.

The stories that really got to me were the teenage children of these gay parents. These young people are the end products of their parents choices. It is one thing for adults to decide how they want to live their life. What happens when you bring children into that equation?

Funny thing. Children respond to love. They know who loves them; who makes them feel safe. Listen to these young adults talk about their moms and their dads. Hear their experiences growing up with lesbian mothers or gay dads. And then know what real family is about. As one young woman said, (and I paraphrase) 'My dads have overcome so much to be together and have struggled so long with being different, that I know they will always love me and accept me, no matter what.' And isn't that what every child wants? to know that their parents will love them, no matter what?

Rosie's Family Cruise is on HBO's On Demand until May 7th. It will be a trip you won't forget.

Countess Bedelia 4/11/2006 11:10:00 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment