Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Mai-Ling


I just realized that I had never posted on my blog about Mai-Ling. She was the child of my heart and the one that fate brought into my life.

When Husband #2 and I were about to enter into cohabitation, he mentioned that he would like to have a dog. "A DOG ! ", I HYSTERICALLY SHRIEKED. After all, here we were.....kids grown up, financially secure, travel on the horizon, in love, and ready for a new adventure. A dog would keep us tethered to our house and I was ready to fly. "NO DOG," says The Countess.

Soooo, he called one day and asked me to meet him at the mall. He took me over to the pet store and introduced me to this shaggy haired little ball of white fluff who promptly took the biggest shit that a little dog could possibly take. The smell was so bad that I had to leave the area.

But the damage was done. I had looked into her eyes and a connection was made. Brain paths were remapped and she was mine and more importantly, I was hers. The strange thing was that the night before I met her, I had a dream about a white, fluffy, dog named Mai-Ling and suddenly....there she was. Karma, Fate...give it any name you want....Mai-Ling was meant to come and live with me.

She lived with me for 14 years and a lot of things went down over those years but her beautiful eyes and her steadfast devotion never wavered. Once I overheard my children (those human forms of self-perpetuation) comment: "Ma loves Mai-Ling more than us" and, you know, I couldn't contradict them. Because we shared a connection in a mystical way that I could never explain or comprehend.

My husband passed away one year before Mai-Ling. She used to sniff the bed skirt to try to bring him back. In that last year she had so many illnesses and problems but she kept me going and gave me so much love. When she finally left me, it was the worst death that I had ever experienced. But then I was given this poem and I had hope. So I do believe that some day Mai-Ling and I will be reunited over The Rainbow Bridge.
Countess Bedelia 5/24/2006 08:30:00 PM

4 Comments:

Pretty dog. And this is pretty sad, too, Countess. Tough luck.
It's the eyes; they can connect through the eyes. I can see the power Mai-Ling had.
Countess -

Mai-Ling has beautiful eyes and into those eyes you can surely see her beautiful soul. One can never fully explain in words the special connection that an animal and human being share with one another. I remember after my cat Clover died while I was in high school, the terrible and heartbreaking sense of loss I felt. I swear that one night, a few months after he passed away I could actually *HEAR* him purring in my ear, as if to tell me it was all going to be alright. I know that sounds loopy, but I honest to god had that experience and I believe it to be one of the most true things that has ever happened to me. I believe that one day we will see our beloved pets again - I have no doubt of that!

Love Always,
Jesse
Hoss - Thanks. Life is what you make of it.

Mrs. Astor - The eyes had me right from the start.

Jesse - You are so sweet. I knew you were a person who could connect with an animal. Thanks for sharing.

Add a comment