Monday, June 19, 2006

Reflections on 'The Wedding'


The wedding was all that big weddings are; too little food and too much of everything else. I am sure that there is a reason for “the bride cuts the cake, the bride feeds the groom, the groom throws the garter, etc.”, but it all seems a little dated in this day and time. When the bride throws her bouquet, it is no longer lovely young virgins who line up to catch it. Three-fourths of the women guests are single these days.

The best part of any wedding is reconnecting with family and friends that you don’t get to see very often any more. Most of us are scattered around the country and the globe, far from our New England roots. The Countess herself has lived in Japan, Germany, and in several states over the course of her life. So it is all good when everyone meets for a happy occasion.

The Dowager Empress was literally the queen of the ball. She looked absolutely beautiful and did what she loves to do best: Order her family around! And we obey with love. There was much dancing and drinking, hugging and kissing, laughter and tears of joy. The Countess even did a hip hop dance with her grandson, the baseball player.


The family after-wedding brunch by the pool at my sister-in-law’s manor finished off the festivities and gave everyone a chance to gossip about the wedding. Who was with who, Who did what, Who drank what, Who wore what, Who said what. What fun!!
Countess Bedelia 6/19/2006 12:13:00 PM

8 Comments:

Is that a Singapore Sling? I had forgotten all about Singapore Slings. Boy howdy...

(Oh, iced tea? Rats.)
Hoss - I think that is a Singapore Sling. I haven't had one of those in a long time. There was a lot of beer and vodka flowing at this brunch!! And it was 95 degrees, so everyone was in the pool.
that picture of the glasses and the cocktail by the pool tells more than the whole post

it´s exquisit...as all things related to you...
Sounds absolutely regal, like The Countess. And, the pool picture? Well, you know how we love our pools here.

One thing, though; what is "hip-hop"?
Ian and Mrs. Astor - It was all very elegant and The Countess behaved like a lady through it all, until the dance with the Grand Duke. Hip Hop is Cool J, Dr. Dre, and just plain bad ass music, bro!! We got down and dirty and showed those mothers how to move it!!! Course it took this old girl a couple of days to recover and the Grand Duke was pitching a ball game the next day...I'm just sayin..
Oh Countess...it sounds so lovely. Wish I could have stopped by on Sunday for a dip. I was sweating my gay little ass off packing boxes.Cheers!
since I've never had the mass of relatives in tow my whole life, when I go to friend's weddings I get a little freaked out. These many people know you? And still talk to you? I'm sure the villagers would have run me out of town with torches and pitchforks if I'd worn the white dress I had chosen for my wedding.
Cheers,
kb
Rick - You can use my pool anytime, neighbor.

Knotty - I am sure that your white wedding dress would in the best taste and ever so fashionable. What do the peasants know? Just ask Mrs. Astor!

Add a comment