Sunday, September 17, 2006

Rivoli Bar at the Ritz

I love the Ritz Hotel in London. It is like stepping back into another era. Soft jazz age music plays in the background. As you are ushered to your table by the hostess, a handsome waiter wearing a cream jacket brings hors-d'oeuvres in a silver tray, and of course they have the 18 year Glenlevit .

The ceiling shows the Art Deco influence in the decor. We made the Rivoli Bar our final stop while waiting for the car to take us to the airport and home. Traveling today is so stressful that we wanted this calming experience to remember while standing in the endless security, passport, and custom lines.

The Principessa ordered peach champagne and I had my usual. In England they call scotch "whiskey" and most bars or pubs serve a brand called Bells which is pretty bloody awful. It was wonderful to sink into the comfy chair and sip my favorite drink in such a cushy atmosphere.

The Ladies Powder Room is as beautiful as the rest of the place. Ice and mineral water is on a table in the corner and cloth towels are provided along with fragrant soaps and lotions. Although I must say that I was very impressed with the "facilities" in London; even the public ones were clean and tidy.

It was fun to see London again through my daughter's eyes. She loved the city as much as I do and we had a lovely time exploring some of the many wonders London has to offer.

Countess Bedelia 9/17/2006 12:37:00 PM

5 Comments:

I hope you were able to smuggle some Ritz shampoo back on the plane.
I hope you were able to smuggle some Ritz shampoo back on the plane.
Mrs. A - When you see the police walking around with machine guns, you are not tempted to smuggle anything!
London still has the money and style to imply the Imperial lifestyle. There are oases all over time like the one you describe. Vienna has the slightly faded past, but London is still vivid. In the top places, the wait staff is always handsome and often Russian, who in that ambiance brings back memories of the White Russians who served there in the 1920's....
Chris, it was absolutely lovely and I felt right at home....fit for a Countess! I knew you would understand the ambiance.

Add a comment