Sunday, January 14, 2007

Are you ready for some football?

Ever since I realized that I will be in Miami during Super Bowl weekend when the big game is played in Dolphins Stadium, my love of football has been rekindled.

It started many years ago when my son played cowboys and indians with a neighborhood boy who ended up being a two time Pro Bowl selection and a two time Super Bowl winner.



Mark Bavaro's most well known play is described here in a Monday Night Football broadcast in 2005: "On Dec. 1, 1986, New York Giants tight end Mark Bavaro cements his reputation as one of the toughest men in the NFL. With the Giants trailing, Bavaro catches an innocent pass from Phil Simms over the middle. It takes nearly seven 49ers defenders to finally drag him down, some of which are carried for almost 20 yards, including future Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott. Bavaro’s inspiring play jump starts the Giants, who win the game and eventually the Super Bowl. "

It is so exciting to root for a boy who you watched grow up. Occasionally when my son and Mark end up in the same town (not too often since everyone is scattered around the country), they still get together and reminisce about sleepovers and hanging out when they were kids....and, yes, the Super Bowl ring is very impressive!


My grandson played football from when he was a little tyke in the Pop Warner League through 4 years of varsity high school at a Division 1 private prep school. There is nothing like watching the home team march down the field, down after down, to make the touchdown...or better yet, the long pass, the catch, and the rush to the goal line.

Today the New England Patriots are in San Diego, two games away from another Super Bowl championship. We will be watching and rooting for the home team today.


Tom Brady, our quarterback, is looking very limber here at practice doing some stretches. Will he lead his team to victory today? Tune in at 4 pm EST to find out.

In the immortal words of John Madden:

"Are you ready for some football?"

ETA: Patriots 24 - San Diego 21

Next week it's Indianapolis Colts vs. the Patriots.

One more game to win to go to the Super Bowl!

Countess Bedelia 1/14/2007 12:02:00 PM

4 Comments:

I would have loved to have seen the Countess Victory dance tonight! :)
Brian, now I know why I stopped watching football....I bit my nails because I was so nervous. What a game!
Did I hear something about NE Patriot jerseys for the Southern Court? :-)
-B&T
Mark - I believe you did hear something about that. If the Patriots win next week (and of course they will), I will need an extra suitcase to hold all the jerseys!!!

Add a comment