Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Glass Menagerie at BTF



Kate McGuire, Aya Cash, and Tom Story starring in The Glass Menagerie in the Unicorn Theater at The Berkshire Theatre Festival. Final performance on June 30th.


I always say I'm not a professional critic and only know when I like something. The problem with that is that I like almost everything I see on stage and if I do see something I don't like, I blame it on the director, the lighting, the stage manager, etc. .... never the actors! So, once again, I give a thumbs up to a production.


Tom Story is wonderful as Tom, the son trapped by his responsibility and love for his mother and sister. He is almost too handsome in the part. Very tall and imposing on the stage. He made me feel the conflict he was having; always a sign of a good actor. Tom is also teaching Contemporary Scene Study to the interns at BTF this summer.


Kate McGuire, who is the Director of BTF, surprised me in the role of Amanda. She brought a combination of melancholy and bittersweet humor to the role. Aya Cash had just the right note of vulnerability. Greg Keller played The Gentleman Caller with just enough bluster and kindness.


The Unicorn Theater is a wonderful space. The stadium seating allows the audience to look down at the stage. There isn't a bad seat in the house. It is an intimate theater with only 99 seats.
Only a few more days left to see this wonderful production, so get in your car and take a drive to beautiful, historic Stockbridge, Massachusetts. You won't regret it!
Countess Bedelia 6/27/2007 11:16:00 AM

2 Comments:

It reminds me of the surreal "Theater by the Sea" in Rhode Island. Small,intimate, and shrouded in fog all the time. Ah, New England....
You have your blinding sunlight in Miami and we have our fog shrouded nights here in New England. At the Castle Bedelia we use that to fool our enemies.

Add a comment