Monday, August 27, 2007

Monday Morning Ramblings.......

My dear Mrs. Astor, the grand doyen of South Beach Society, is worried about me and thinks a stint of Castle Rehab is just what I need. I think she is mixing me up with her friend, Mamie Stuyvesant-Fish. I only drink after five (and it IS after five somewhere on the planet at any time of day!!) like any lady of high society and then, only Glenlivet. What is there to worry about?
Personally I think someone who has her hair done by Rosie the Riveter should worry about herself and leave others to their own vices. Here is Mrs. Astor at the latest Palace ball.

Someone asked me recently if the unseasonable cold weather we are having in the Berkshires was bothering me during my sojourn at the Summer Palace. I said, "I hang out in theaters and bars. The weather doesn't concern me at all." Really!!

Speaking of the theater, I have some recommendations for all you philistines to get off your duff and go out and enjoy some first rate productions if you are out here in the fabulous Berkshires. And if you're not here, you should be!!

At The Berkshire Theatre Festival in Stockbridge you can see two first rate productions. "Mrs. Warren's Profession" on the Main Stage is getting rave reviews for the actors and the whole production. Xanthe Elbrick as Vivie Warren and Lisa Banes as Mrs. Warren are two powerful actresses who are chewing up the scenery in these two roles. Xanthe was nominated this year for a Tony for her role in The Coram Boy on Broadway last spring. Randy Harrison, Walter Hudson, Stephen Temperley, and Mark Nelson are the four men surrounding these two women and each gives a fantastic and well rounded performance.

At the intimate Unicorn Theater at BTF you can see "Educating Rita" starring the great Jonathan Epstein and the fabulous Tara Franklin. I don't know when I have seen a better production. On opening night last week, these two actors just amazed me. I have seen them both in several other plays but IMO they have never been better than they are in this play.

On August 30th you can go to the Mahaiwe Performing Arts Center in Great Barrington to see a fabulous cabaret show "Fly Me to the Moon" which is directed by Charlotte Kaufman, the founder of Boston Musical Theater. Charlotte has had a long career in music and she assures me that this will be a fantastic show. I actually met Charlotte while I was getting my nails done at Lucky Nails in Lee. So you never know who will be sitting next to you wherever you go. Good luck on Thursday, Charlotte. I will see you there!


While I was at BTF last Saturday night enjoying Mrs. Warren's Profession, a young man took the seat next to me. He happened to be Ted Gallant, the Technical Director of the Portland Stage Company in Portland, Maine. His wife, Marjorie, is a Stage Manager in the summer season at BTF and then joins him in Portland for the winter season. The list of plays for the 2007-2008 season looks great. I'm ordering a season subscription so you will probably get some reviews from me about this company.
Yesterday I attended the final performance of "La Boheme" performed by the Berkshire Opera Company at the Colonial Theater in Pittsfield. You youngsters might be aware that the hit show "Rent" is based on this opera. This production was as good as any I have seen at The Met in NYC. Beautiful voices, acting, and good production values. The pre-show talk by the Musical Director, Kathleen Kelly, was particularly interesting.
So you see, Mrs. Astor, there is nothing to worry about. Theaters and bars are a fine place to be when you are in the country!
Countess Bedelia 8/27/2007 01:07:00 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment