Thursday, December 27, 2007

My Favorite Things - Chapter Two

I'm heading off to New York City tomorrow. Going to celebrate my 65th birthday with friends, go to several plays, eat in some good restaurants, and maybe have a Glenlivet or two.


Lately I've been thinking how lucky I am to have reached this milestone birthday; all the women in my family died at much younger ages for one reason or another. And when I reflect on this, my thoughts always turn to my cousin Carolyn. Carolyn was a beautiful woman....an artist, a gourmet chef, a person that everyone loved. She died in May of 2000 at 57 years of age. We were born 3 months apart and lived in the same house until we were 6 years old. That sister bond stayed with us our whole lives and I was at her bedside when she passed away.


So when I look at some of my favorite things in my home, Carolyn's art is always right at the top of the list.


This painting she gave to me when I married my husband, Bob. He never did figure out what it was. Bob liked a horse to look like a horse...hehe. But I loved it and decorated my dining room around the colors in the painting.


Carolyn and several of her artistic friends used to rent a house in Gloucester every summer and paint and cook and paint and cook. These paintings of the front porch looking out to sea always make me smile and remind me of glorious summer days sitting there, drinking a glass of wine, and enjoying just being together.


Here is a picture of the two of us one Thanksgiving when we were younger and beautiful.
So when I raise my glass to toast my birthday, you can be sure that I will add a toast to Carolyn who should be sharing the day with me.
Countess Bedelia 12/27/2007 10:20:00 PM

4 Comments:

Thank you for sharing the story of your cousin, Countess. This is indeed, a good time to lovingly remember those who have passed on and I'm doing the same. Have fun in the Big Apple!
A beautiful story at the right time.

Did you say a Glenlivet "OR TWO"?
I had a lovely time Friday night despite the odd play, hahaha! It was lovely to see again you and on your birthday, too!
I will hold your beloved cousin in my prayers. That was a beautiful and touching tribute.

You are just as beautiful as ever, Countess - and don't you forget it!

HAPPY 65th BIRTHDAY!! :-) Here's to another 65 for a truly remarkable woman! :) All my best for a happy, healthy, sucessful and joy-filled birthday and new year.

Add a comment