Thursday, January 24, 2008

Revisiting an old favorite.....

Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening
A poem by Robert Frost, published in 1923



Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


I am amazed at the websites devoted to this poem. By entering the title of the poem, 108,000 sites came up. And there are several YouTube videos dedicated to it.



The video showing the book illustrated by Susan Jeffers is lovely.

There have been many commentaries written about this poem but most agree that it is a little gem. It has found its way into popular culture as varied as an episode of "The Sopranos" and one of "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer".

As I sat in my sunroom tonight looking out at the snowy landscape outside the windows, this poem seemed to say it all. In fact the photo in this post is a picture of the night view from those windows. It is beautiful and serene and inspires a calmness of the soul.
Countess Bedelia 1/24/2008 12:29:00 AM

2 Comments:

Now I'm getting all nostalgic again; I do miss the change of seasons, and can find something good in all of them - hurricane season excepted ;-)
Mark, I think you need to move to New York City so I can crash on your couch.

Add a comment