Monday, July 28, 2008

Janis Ian - Society's Child

The Countess went over to the Bookloft, one of those wonderful independent bookstores that small towns have. They were having a book signing with Janis Ian. I could not believe that Janis Ian is now 57 years old.....(Gawd! I am ancient!!!) It seems like yesterday that she was a 15 year old sensation with her song "Society's Child". At that young age she was heckled at concerts with the epitaph "Nigger Lover" because of this song.



COME TO MY DOOR, BABY
FACE IS CLEAN AND SHINING BLACK AS NIGHT
MY MAMA WENT TO ANSWER
YOU KNOW THAT YOU LOOKED SO FINE
NOW I COULD UNDERSTAND THE TEARS & THE SHAME
SHE CALLED YOU BOY INSTEAD OF YOUR NAME
WHEN SHE WOULDN’T LET YOU INSIDE
WHEN SHE TURNED AND SAID
"BUT HONEY, HE’S NOT OUR KIND"
SHE SAYS I CAN’T SEE YOU ANY MORE, BABY
CAN’T SEE YOU ANY MORE



Her very personal book tells wonderful stories about Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and lots of legends that she was friends with. She has been touted as the "Lesbian Legend" and told how her mother reacted when she first brought a girlfriend home. Janis told her mother, "You said Jewish and 'in love'; you didn't specify gender."



Janis gave a delightful talk about her book and moved me to tears when she read a passage about her mother's death.




Denise, this picture is for you (xxxooo)
Countess Bedelia 7/28/2008 12:18:00 PM

2 Comments:

Hi Gorgeous! I used to love Janis and cried every time I heard her song on the radio (I was a drama princess teen). --liz
*waves to Liz* I didn't know you had a blog. Good to hear from you. Email me.

Add a comment