Thursday, December 11, 2008

New York! New York! Can we afford you????



The rains are pouring down here in New York City. I mean torrential downpours....the kind that soak you through to the skin. As you walk the city streets, your umbrella bumps their umbrella....it is the umbrella wars!!!!!!



But that didn't stop The Countess from going to a night at the theater. "Speed-The-Plow" by David Mamet is playing at the Ethel Barrymore Theater on 47th Street. It is a tour-de-force for Jeremy Piven, Raul Esparza, and Elizabeth Moss. If you haven't heard of these three actors, look them up.....you must have your head stuck in the sand. What an incredible theater experience! And the production was directed by Neil Pepe, Artistic Director of the Atlantic Theater Company!!






My trip to the city has already paid off in dividends and I haven't even gotten to the two productions that I actually came here to see.




Now a little trip down reality road in the big city. I stopped into the liquor store near my hotel for a bottle of Glenlivet......$84 with tax for a bottle that would have cost me $40 back home. Then I ordered a glass of Glenlivet on the rocks at the hotel bar....$22. I also went to a local deli and got 2 large bottles of Poland Spring Water, a plain croissant and 2 lemon squares to bring back to the hotel.....$22. So inflation doesn't seem to have changed NYC yet and tourists are still paying top dollar. Still....a day in New York City is worth ten days anywhere else!!!!






xoxo, The Countess
Countess Bedelia 12/11/2008 11:25:00 PM

2 Comments:

The Rainbow Room at the top of Rockefeller Center ran me $50 for two Ketel Ones back in February - but come to think of it, I didn't mind shelling out. The view of the Empire State Building more than takes away the sting~
-B&T
Sounds like you should save your drinking to home or South Beach.

Add a comment