Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day weekend in New England....


The Countess started her holiday weekend Friday night at a reunion of The Boys Club of the Berkshires at, where else, Rumpy's Tavern. I forgot a couple of the names but Davo is there, Bob & Pete, and The Saint.



Kevin and Morgan from Kripalu popped in for a cocktail and became new members of the Rumpy's Family.....the bar where everyone knows your name!





Black and Tan Mark flew in from Miami on Saturday and wanted to be taken immediately to Rumpy's Tavern. I sadly had to tell him that Troy didn't open the bar for another couple of hours. We managed to pass the time having cocktails on the deck. Finally we could go to Rumpy's where Troy welcomed Mark with open arms and a very large Ketel and soda!







After a delicious dinner from the Rumpy's Tavern menu, Mark and I were off to the theater.






Saturday night was Opening Night for "Faith Healer" in the Unicorn Theatre at Berkshire Theatre Festival. When I talked with Keira Naughton, who plays Grace, a couple of weeks before, she had described the beautiful language that the play uses to tell its story; and I found this to be true. The character accents allow the words to sort of roll off their tongues to make a beautiful sound. I wish I could describe it better but just go see it and you will know what I mean. It is playing until July 4th. You can read a review of the play in Edge Boston.


ETA: Jeffrey Borak, in his review of the play for The Berkshire Eagle, puts into words exactly what I was trying to convey about the language: "This is a strong, effective ensemble propelled by Friel's extraordinary linguistic gifts — his deep understanding of words, their rhythms, nuances and meanings and what those words, rhythms, nuances and meaning reveal, and don't reveal."


I am happy to say that Mark enjoyed the play as much as I did. When he was visiting last Memorial Day, we went to see The Caretaker at the Unicorn Theater and he is still talking about how outstanding that production was.





After the play we returned to Rumpy's to enjoy the wonderful music of Tony Lee Thomas and Jason Maley.








Linda, Jeanne, and Patty were having a good time. Linda is having her birthday party at Rumpy's on 7/11. Everyone is invited!!






Who knew that Steve was so tall? Until he posed with Mark and then Davo!



























What would Memorial Day weekend be without the traditional cookout? Cindy, the Queen of the Bar, put out a fantastic feast for us.






Since The Countess doesn't cook and it was the servants day off, I brought the hostess her favorite drink.....along with her old crown.....







Troy and his partner, Andrew, were among the guests.....






After the cookout Mark, Steve, and I went over to the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge to see Liam Geddes, the Irish Idol, perform. His equipment kept cutting out on him and he decided to sing 'Danny Boy' a cappella. WHAT.A.TREAT. This kid has a fantastic voice. You can hear him on YouTube HERE. And, for the record, here he is with The Countess.....






Mark had never been to the Red Lion Inn so Steve and I took him on a little tour ending with a rocking chair on the porch; something every tourist has to do.....






The next day was the Memorial Day parade to honor our veterans and to show off the townsfolk! The Countess was especially taken by this old fire engine......





Then Mark helped me set up my Ipod that he had gifted me with when I was down in Florida. Thank you so much Mark! I love all my new music!!
Another fun weekend has come and gone. Thanks, Mark, for visiting and sharing it with me. Next weekend.....the return of the Countess duBarry! Stay tuned!!!!!!


Countess Bedelia 5/27/2009 09:46:00 PM

1 Comments:

[Sigh] I'm still thinking of the weekend... Thank you for a wonderful time!
--B&T

Add a comment