Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"GHOSTS" a play by Henrik Ibsen

GHOSTS opened on the Main Stage at The Berkshire Theatre Festival on August 15th. It is playing until Saturday, August 29th. Get your tickets HERE.




A woman struggles to keep several terrible family secrets, the implication of which are only worsened by a puritanical Pastor, a lascivious son, and her own guilt-ridden, well hidden past. Full of dark symbols, Ghosts exemplifies Henrik Ibsen’s uncanny ability to overturn Victorian social values by using them as the damning elements in his work. Now, BTF favorites Director Anders Cato and Dramaturg James Leverett present a brand new translation of this classic of the theatre.



After the play on opening night, a party is held under the outside tent. The Countess always enjoys seeing many friends that night. A special one is Saori from Japan. A few years ago I befriended a few lovely ladies from Japan who had made the trip to the Berkshires just to see a play. My nephew lives in Tokyo and is married to a Japanese girl so I thought I would extend a welcoming hand to them. When I saw these beautiful girls standing on the edges of the party I went up and started talking with them. They always apologize for their English but since my Japanese is nonexistent, I give all credit to our communication to them. We have exchanged emails over the years and whenever they return to the Berkshires, they always give me a "gift of Japan" as they say. This year only Saori came to visit and, once again, she gifted me with a special present. Thank you, dear Saori. I hope to see you again next year.



David Adkins plays Pastor Manders in the play. Here he poses with The Countess and Janine. Janine has become a special friend over the past couple of years.



Mia Dillon plays Mrs. Alving. Isn't she beautiful?


Scott Killian did the brilliant sound design for the play. Here he poses with Gray Simons, BTF Artistic Associate who also writes, directs, and oversees the education program.



A few of our summer interns who will soon be leaving us. I can't begin to tell you how hard these kids work all summer. The theater could not exist without them. I know I'll miss them.


Tyler, Rebecca, Lindsey, and Tara


After the theater party, there was an after-after party and this is when The Countess had a little fangirl moment. Mia Dillon's husband, Keir Dullea, was sitting next to me at the table. Keir starred as Dave in "2001, A Space Odyssey" back in 1968 and I had a little crush on him then. He is still a very handsome man, enough to make the old Countess heart flutter a bit! I'll never forget those lines:


Dave: Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Here is a picture of Keir as Dave and at the BTF party (picture by Charles Giuliano from a review by Larry Murray)


David Adkins was sitting on my other side and he said I didn't squee at all....at least not that he noticed. Another night that didn't end until the wee hours of the morning!
Countess Bedelia 8/25/2009 12:07:00 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment