Sunday, November 08, 2009

If it's Thursday, I must be......Where?????


It was a whirlwind three days in the City! I can't believe that I did not take any pictures of the events I attended. Where was my head at? That is just not like me at all. But even without pictures, I need to record it here in 'the old lady's diary'.



OUR BAR....



The trip started with the opening night of "Our Bar" which will be held on the first Wednesday of the month at the Failte Irish Whiskey Bar. It was such fun to see so many friends, both in the show and in the bar. Matuschka came in to see me and give me her new book. Check it out on her website. Tommy and Nurit, Sara, Daiva, Brandy, and Sarah came in for the show. Brian was there without Amy and Jacob was texting with Dave.....fun times!! Project: Theater was well represented by Joe Jung, Jessi Blue, Andrew McCleod, Jenny Schutzman, and many more. There were funny skits and some music too.


Later that night Daiva and I walked down the street to see Charlie at the bar where he works. There was a game of Beer Pong going on but the participants were too drunk to get any of the balls in the cups...so they just drank the beer instead!
Daiva will be appearing with the Varsity Interpretive Dance Squad at Ars Nova on November 21st. Get tickets here.


THE LILY'S REVENGE....
Taylor Mac as 'The Lily' and Amelia Zirin-Brown as 'The Bride' in The Lily's Revenge at the Here Arts Center.



Thursday night I attended a performance of "The Lily's Revenge" with Nurit and Brandy. Tommy had a reading that evening but came in for the last two acts. 'Lily' is a play in five acts which lasts five hours. That might sound a little intimidating but I can assure you that the five hours goes by fast, you are so entertained. It is one of those magical evenings that you can't just tell people about, they need to experience it themselves. Read the New York Times review and then go and see it while you have a chance. It is only playing for a limited run until November 22nd.


Three friends of mine are in the play. Amelia Zirin-Brown (Lady Rizo) plays 'The Bride', Philip Taratula plays 'The Groom', and Salty Brine plays 'The Tick'. I am in awe of all their talent and thank them so much for coming out to see The Countess during and after the show. And it was really great to be able to spend the evening with Tommy, Nurit, and Brandy.



THE UNDERSTUDY....
Mark-Paul Gosselaar, Julie White, and Justin Kirk take their opening night bows!


Friday night I went to see "The Understudy" at the Laura Pels Theater on 46th Street. Jenn Harris is understudying Julie White in this production; so even though Jenn wasn't on stage, it was a must see play for me. Also Justin Kirk from "Weeds" is in it and I am a big fan. I had no idea who Mark-Paul Gosselaar was, but he apparently has quite a following. There were many fans lined up outside after the play who screamed quite loudly when he left the building! The play itself is quite funny.

The Understudy's understudies.....Josh Casaubon and Jenn Harris at the opening night party.



After the play Jenn, Matt Wilkas, Brooke Hardman, and I went over to Cafe Un Deux Trois for a cocktail. I had never met Brooke before and was very interested to hear about her theater group on Martha's Vineyard, 'Art Farm Enterprises' which she founded with her husband, Brian. Brooke also acts in Boston theater during the winter and will be appearing in 'The Christmas Carol' at the New Rep Theater as the Ghost of Christmas Past.



Saturday The Countess was back on the train heading for Boston. Whew! Time to rest up for a bit. Back to NYC in 2 weeks time for Our Hit Parade at Joe's Pub. We have quite a crowd coming that night. I think I will need reservations for 20!
Countess Bedelia 11/08/2009 11:58:00 AM

3 Comments:

God Damn it, Countess! All this traveling around and not one trip to see your tropical friends.

That Irish bar does look yummy, though... sort of makes me thirsty just looking at it.
My dear Mrs. Astor, I am saving the best for my tropical friends. How does Christmas week and New Years Eve sound? I bet there are a few parties going on in SoBe around that time and I have JUST the original LEOPOLDO design to wear!!
Sounds delicious to us!!!!

Add a comment