Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Mai-Ling Remembered...

Every so often I do a little post about my departed angel, Mai-Ling. She has been gone for almost 10 years now but I still miss her sweet face.



Recently a Facebook friend's dog had to have an operation and I waited with trepidation to hear that the dog...and his parent, were OK. Mai-Ling had 3 operations and each time I was a wreck; so I could just imagine the stress that this adorable young person was going through. And it served to remind me once again of the special bond between parent and pet that develops.



Mai-Ling was the child of my heart and the one that fate brought into my life.When The Count and I were about to enter into cohabitation, he mentioned that he would like to have a dog. "A DOG ! ", I HYSTERICALLY SHRIEKED. After all, here we were.....kids grown up, financially secure, travel on the horizon, in love, and ready for a new adventure. A dog would keep us tethered to our house and I was ready to fly. "NO DOG," says The Countess.



Soooo, he called one day and asked me to meet him at the mall. He took me over to the pet store and introduced me to this shaggy haired little ball of white fluff who promptly took the biggest shit that a little dog could possibly take. The smell was so bad that I had to leave the area.



But the damage was done. I had looked into her eyes and a connection was made. Brain paths were remapped and she was mine and more importantly, I was hers. The strange thing was that the night before I met her, I had a dream about a white, fluffy, dog named Mai-Ling and suddenly....there she was. Karma, Fate...give it any name you want....Mai-Ling was meant to come and live with me.



She lived with me for 14 years and a lot of things went down over those years but her beautiful eyes and her steadfast devotion never wavered. We shared a connection in a mystical way that I could never explain or comprehend.



My husband passed away one year before Mai-Ling. She used to sniff the bed skirt to try to bring him back. In that last year she had so many illnesses and problems but she kept me going and gave me so much love. When she finally left me, my heart was broken all over again. But then I was given this poem and I had hope. So I do believe that some day Mai-Ling and I will be reunited over The Rainbow Bridge.



Countess Bedelia 12/02/2009 08:29:00 PM

2 Comments:

Oh, Countess, I feel this coming every day. What is it between a human and their dog?
Dear Countess,
I too, think of my dear departed ones, Tosca and Figaro. They were the feline loves of my life. Figaro was sleeping soundly next to my husband in the hospital bed the night he died....the spiritual connection to our POF ("people of fur", as I call them) is undeniable and defies explanation. I still miss both POF but I have one remaining, my sweet Isabel, who was a gift from one of my hospice families. Life does go on in unexpected ways but there are always moments to honor those who have passed on, may they be human, or POF.

Add a comment