Thursday, May 20, 2010

Why do I not have my own place in New York City?

Saturday I was on the train from Boston to New York City.....Again!  Is this a pattern or what ??

Having dinner with Sara, Travis, and Matt at the fabulous China Brasserie on Lafayette Street. The weather was perfect for sitting at a sidewalk table….



Sara told us funny stories about working in Guest Services at a big hotel and Travis was excited about his Brooklyn garden and Matt told about his play that will be read on Martha's Vineyard this summer. It was a perfect dinner with the most perfect company. I always feel how lucky I am to have so many young people as friends. At my age, most of my contemporaries are playing bingo and going to the Senior Center in their community. I am so blessed to be able to be in tune with these wonderful and exciting men and women at the time of life when all opportunities are possible. They keep me young.



After dinner we went down the street to the Public Theater to see “Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson”. This play has been extended 3 times, it is so popular.  James Barry has one of the lead roles and sings a rocking Rock Star song. Now another friend, Joe Jung, is joining the cast as of June 1st. So much excitement!!! James and Joe joined us after the show for drinks…..



Also with our party was James’ high school teacher and her husband and friends. They had come into town from Connecticut to see James perform. What a tribute to James…and to his teacher…that they kept this contact and that she had such a positive influence on his life. We all had the best time. Actually Matt had a good time wearing my shawl and pretending to be The Countess…..


 
On the way home in the subway I ran into some lovely people on their way to an after hours party.  Of course we made eye contact and became fast friends in the five minutes before the train.  I told them all about the JUDY DARLING parties and gave them my card.  I hope to see them again one day.  They were so delightful....and aren't they beautiful....
 
 
 
Sunday I met up with Joe Jung's beautiful wife Jessi Blue for brunch.  This lady is so talented in her own right, recently performing a one woman play that she wrote and starred in about women she knew in West Virginia,  "Mark My Words".   I always have such a good time with Jessi and love listening to her stories.  
 
 
At 6 pm I met Matt and Kristin at the Abingdon Theatre to support Gayfest and see my wonderfully talented friend, Phillip Taratula, perform in Romeo and Hamlet.  So we supported a good cause, laughed our asses off, and got to kiss Phillip after the show.  How do you say Win! Win! Win!  Then we were off to Splash to see the Broadway Bares Kids strut their stuff for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights Aids.  There was lots of beefcake to enjoy while we supported another good cause....
 
 
Not to mention my darling Travis working behind the bar in his cute undies....which I did not get a good picture of :(

 
Monday afternoon I was at the Alvin Ailey theater to see the Regent University actors showcase.  Last year I met Anna, an acting apprentice at the Berkshire Theatre Festival.  She has such talent and charisma that she made an immediate impression on me.  And so I was very honored to be invited by her to attend her showcase.  She performed two pieces but the first one, as Sylvia, was unforgettable.  You see, Sylvia is a dog....so picture dog with loving master, then a walk in the park and a meeting with a cat.....oh my, Sylvia has forever changed my perception of this probable meeting.  And here is the beautiful Anna at her birthday party last year in the Berkshires....
 
 
Later that night I finally caught a performance of The Temperamentals.  This is such an important play dealing with gay history.  I was fortunate enough to catch the final Talk Out which featured the entire cast.  How thrilling to hear their stories about the play's evolution and their parts in it and how it has affected them.  Gay or straight, this is a history lesson that all should learn.
 
And so I bid adieu once more to New York City.  I'll be back on June 11th to attend a private party and see some shows and meet some friends.  Again.....Why do I not have my own place in New York City?
Countess Bedelia 5/20/2010 01:18:00 AM

1 Comments:

How come you have such difficulty meeting people, dear Countess? Remember, you need a day off now and then!

Add a comment