Sunday, September 11, 2011

Another remembrance of 9/11...


Every year since I started this blog I have posted a remembrance on 9/11 of my friend, Janis Lasden, who was a passenger on Flight 11 out of Boston. 

She was going on vacation to Palm Springs with her boyfriend on that fateful day.  I will never forget how I heard the news.....2 days after the tragedy.  I had just arrived home and was walking out of my garage when a friend pulled up.  "I was hoping to catch you." she said,  "Have you heard the news?"  "What news?"  I replied.  "Janis and Dom were on Flight 11.  They are gone."

Ten years later there are so many stories.  So many people who were affected by those tragic events. 
Here is a story and video about the American Airlines employees working at Logan Airport on 9/11.  Because both flights that crashed into the World Trade Center towers originated in Boston, most people knew someone who was connected in one way or another.  Karen Martin, the lead flight attendant on Flight 11, was from my hometown of Danvers.  New England is still mourning that day on a very personal level.

It was an event that defined a generation and yet, when I brought my 10 year old granddaughter to New York City for a visit two years ago, she asked me to explain the messages on the wall of the fire department that listed the firemen from that firehouse who had died in the towers.  No one had ever taught her anything about that day.  I couldn't believe that this history wasn't taught in public school, even in fifth grade.  Hopefully that has changed by now.

So once again I will remember my friends on this day.  I still like to think that they are dancing the two-step in some country western dance palace in the sky.
Countess Bedelia 9/11/2011 02:14:00 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment