Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11 remembered....


When I started writing my annual post about 9/11 to remember Janis Lasden and Don Ditullio, passengers on Flight 11, it occurred to me that there might be a Paris connection to tie in with my Preparing For Paris series.  A quick Google search and I found out that last year, to commemorate the 10th anniversary of this horrible event, Paris had several events planned but the most impressive was held at the Palais de Chaillot (Trocadéro) opposite the Eiffel Tower.

 

Replicas of the two New York World Trade Center towers were constructed at the Palais de Chaillot, each ten stories tall. A large white banner was draped down the length of each replica tower; one listing  the  names of those who died in the attacks and the other containing thousands of messages and signatures collected in the U.S. and elsewhere.

This site was chosen for the opportunity to show the Eiffel Tower positioned between the two World Trade Center towers as a symbol of solidarity, sympathy and friendship between France and the U.S.
"The choice of the Palais du Trocadéro is essential because these are the only two twin buildings overlooking Paris, the axis Eiffel Tower/Trocadéro is the most important tourist center in France, as well as the twin towers of the World Trade Center symbolized the entrance of the City of New York," said Jean-Pierre Heim.   Heim is a French architect who co-founded “The French Will Never Forget,” a group he started with three other individuals in 2003 to show support for the U.S. after 9/11/2001.
 

Remembering my friends…..

 
Don DiTullio and Janis Lasden
I met them both at the Village Inn back in the day when country line dancing was so popular. We were part of a group that showed up faithfully several nights a week to dance and socialize. That was long before I took pictures everywhere I go and I often wish I had a picture of Jan and Don dancing. They would twirl around the floor looking like the country version of Fred and Ginger.  I like to think they are still dancing in that big country dance hall in the sky.

Day 18 Preparation for Paris trip:  Live every day as if it is the first and the last.

 

 
Countess Bedelia 9/11/2012 07:34:00 AM

0 Comments:

Add a comment